*Are you a subcontractor? You may be required to submit inquiries instead of RFIs. Inquiries can be escalated to RFIs by the GC. Learn more about inquiries here: Create an Inquiry as a Subcontractor
What is an inquiry?
An inquiry is a less formal version of an RFI. Inquiries can be resolved and closed through the inquiry workflow, or be escalated to an official RFI. Some projects may require that Subcontractors only file inquiries, which can be escalated to an official RFI by the GC. Here are the topics we'll cover in this article:
Create RFIs or Inquiries
1. In the left navigation menu, select RFI, then Create RFI. If you are a Subcontractor, this will take you to the Inquiry creation form.
2. Select Inquiry or RFI, then enter the information for your RFI/inquiry.
3. To upload file attachments to your inquiry, select Upload Files to select files from your computer. You can also drag and drop files directly in the upload box.
4. To select a map location for your inquiry, scroll to the bottom of the inquiry form. Select the floor plan from the folder tree (A). Use the Navigation tool (B) to move around the map, and use the Selection tool (C) to select specific areas or elements.
5. Once you have entered all the information for your inquiry, select Save in the upper right.
If you selected "Inquiry", and new entry will be added to the Inquiry List. If you selected "Open", a new RFI will appear in the RFI list.
New RFI records will be placed in an Assigned - In Progress status. The RFI can be reassigned to the appropriate party for comment, voided, or resolved with a Final Response.
Escalate Inquiries to RFIs
Some projects may require that Subcontractors only file inquiries, which can be escalated to an official RFI by the GC. Read on to learn how to escalate Inquiries to RFIs.
1. In the left navigation menu, select RFI, then Inquiry List.
2. Use the lefthand search menu to locate the inquiry, or select the INQ ID (A).
3. Once you have opened the inquiry, you can make a selection from the toolbar in the upper right. Open to RFI will advance the inquiry to an RFI, which will now appear in the main RFI List. You can also reassign, edit, void it, and more.
4. If you're ready to close the inquiry, select Close. You will be asked to select the closure type, such as Final Response.